Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Pussy Cat Dolls vs. Andrea Wardrop

One of my pet peeves is the tendancy people have, myself included, to be ridiculously critical of celebrities. We sometimes talk about them as if they are ordinary run of the mill, in a way that may not be true, but somehow helps us feel like we are on the same level. That somehow, me, in my ordinary pedestrian life, would not only have the chance to brush of J. Lo, but given that chance wouldn't be awed by her obvious charms.

Maybe it is sometimes easier on ourselves to think that we would see through the mystique that is celebrity and not see the beautiful charasmatic person who rose above so many others and instead see, like the wizard of oz, an ordinary run of the mill everyday person. And with Paris Hilton out there, I can admit that this could happen. Just not as often as we might like to think.

So when I say that the Pussy Cat Dolls aren't doing it for me, please understand that I am well aware of the reality: Were I to meet them on the street somewhere, it would be a red letter day. I mean look at them, they are hot. Uberhot. So why don't I dig them. Skinny, good looking, young women gyrating to music in seductive outfits - What more can I ask for?

I really didn't know and I feared being kicked out of the club - having my men's membership revoked. Then the Georgia Straight came out with this cover of Andrea Wardrop. On close examination she is no match for the Pussy Cat Dolls. Sure there are lots of reasons - she's missing an army of people: stylists, personal trainers, makeup artists, and airbrushers to name a few. But that's not the point. The point is that cover is hot. Really hot. It caught my eye in a way that the Pussy Cat Dolls and their ilk have failed to do.

I don't believe that I'm alone either. I think there are plenty of men out there who think I'm nuts, but I also think there are plenty of men who get it. I think we are tired of perfect. Well, at least in the media. (Actually, probably only in the media. But maybe that's where the trend starts?)

My guess is that so much of our desire is about rarity. And with the proliferation of plastic surgery and magazines obsession with photoshop, some of us are subconsiously bored. Bored with the covers of Maxim and Stuff and well, most of them. It has got to the point, at least for me, that the Pussy Cat Dolls are a dime a dozen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must thank you - this cover was my concept and shot(s)... although to be fair, I retouched the shit out of the original.

Anonymous said...

I pretty much agree with you, but dont forget it's all in the skill of the artist as to how we see anybody in the media. With Camera angles, lighting, airbrushing, photoshop, makeup, styling, wardrobe, ... plus the skill of the directory/photographer all trying to fool us into seeing something more 'attractive' than reality, how can we not? The truth is that realitiy is *always* going to be dissapointing. This is dissapointing in itself (in an ironic sort of way).
I have no doubt Fiona "retouched the shit out of the original" since that's her job, but it's a sad fact that fiction is slowly suffocating reality.

Anonymous said...

Moderatly interesting site (lucious), but this is a prime example of why the industry retouches photos...

Please don't be offended, but average girls in untouched photos just arent gonna create a lot of interest...

Anonymous said...

Hey! I saw that Lucious girl in Vancouver and I must say that the Georgia Straight photo wasnt 'retouched' it was 'redone'!
There isnt even a belly in the GS photo!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with what D.I.N.K. said. And, Andrea does look very hot on the cover of GS! I have also checked out the lusciousdance web site and still think that Andrea is hot. (by the way, thanks for posting that link, Andrea). I could easily look at girls like her all day compared to most of the women that are featured in magazines and in the media in general these days. Perhaps not for the masses but for myself, I think that "average girls" can be very sexy and interesting. Andrea exudes a kind of raw and innocent but tantalizing type of sexuality that is neither contrived nor simulated. Kudos to Andrea and others like her.

kl

Anonymous said...

I liked the pic, don't really care what was done to it - gave me something nice to look at. But it didn't really make any sense with what I read of the article. Figured it would be more about pole dancers. Have to say, I was disappointed.